Smart Documents are intelligent forms used inside the hospital to capture patient information during hospitalization or an outpatient visit. Applied within the electronic patient record covering cases where one or more departments of the hospital cannot operate the electronic patient record because of either of the existing structure or due to lack of available staff. Using the Smart Documents even these departments are able to contribute to the electronic medical record even if they do not fill-in the patient data by typing in on their workstation. As a result the entire medical record is not separated in handwritten and computerized one but becomes a uniform and unified Medical Record.
Uniform and unified Medical Record, by mixing Voice recognition, handwritten notes & typed text, photos and video
The documents are ‘Smart’ because:
- Are printed automatically by the application at the time of patient’s admission. Their content includes proper boxes to be filled in by the doctors and nurses. The boxes are different per ‘Smart Document’ dependent on diagnosis, diagnostic investigation or the responsible ward.
- Are filled-in by three different automated ways, so even if the data is handwritten, the document is able to be inserted in the electronic medical record as computerized form.
Filling-in a Smart Document:
The information system provides three ways to fill-in the smart document:
- Simple hand-written text.
- Filling via a ‘special pen’ which during writing scans the writings by the pen tip embedded microcamera.
- Through speaking on mobile phone, via voice recognition that permits the filling of form’s boxes by the spoken text.
All three above methods result in automatic inclusion of patient Smart Docs in the electronic medical record.
Encapsulation of Smart Documents in the medical record
The type of archived information in the medical record depends on the used method.
The storage of information is the image of the form, either multi-page or not. The inclusion in the file is a batch scanning of the filled Smart Documents with a scanner equipped with an automatic feeder. The document pages need not be in sequence bu page number or even by the patient. The software automatically recognizes the attributes of each document (patient, department, page number etc) and therefore classifies and archives the Smart Document properly, to the belonging patient and the appropriate part of the medical record.
Allows entry of handwritten information not as a single document image but separated to fields. The method supports also the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) process that converts handwritten text to characters. This method does not require a scanner for scanning. The transfer of information is done automatically when you place the pen on its base for charging. At that position data of documents are transferred to the server and then set to medical record.
Exploit the mobile application of Medifile EMR for mobile and tablets. The application includes a special library that converts voice into text which then updates appropriately the patient’s smart document.
Smart Documents: Get your system smarter