Laboratory Information System
Market Leading LIS in the Greek Hospital Sector
Laboratory Information System ‘MediLab LIS’
MediLab LIS is an advanced and full featured IT System, used 24h daily by hundrends of Medical Laboratories, hospitals and medical centers -private or public- including hospitals of more than 1.000 beds. MediLab’s Enterprise Laboratory Platform encompasses all of the traditional LIS concepts and extends them even further by adding complementary capabilities and technologies. Most importantly, it does so with complete and seamless integration. The result is a single system that meets the diverse needs of the modern laboratory.
‘MediLab LIS’, manages the diverse needs across pathology laboratory departments including Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Coagulation, Virology, Immunology, Serology, Toxicology, Urinalysis, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Cytogenetics, Flow Cytometry, Anatomic Pathology, Cytology, Blood Bank and Blood Transfusion.
Designed for the operational needs of clinical labs, MediLab LIS is both a web based and a client-server application with enhanced customization capabilities, allowing a flexible and rapid system implementation at any healthcare laboratory environment, offering access through tablets and smartphones. MediLab LIS is one of the most robust, productive, dedicated and complete Laboratory Information System solutions available today in Europe.
It provides extensive support to the daily procedures and data. On a daily basis thousands of physicians and healthcare professionals at hundreds of medical laboratories in hospitals and diagnostic centres use MediLab LIS, to provide accurate, on-time and secure care for their patients. With advanced customization capabilities it has been adapted to the particular operational requirements of all types and sizes.
From patient confidentiality to sharing patient results, and from expert rules to MediLab intelligence, everything has been setup to optimize laboratory performance and contribute to improving the quality of care and patient safety.
In complex environments both the ease of use and the integration into existing systems, is of prime importance.
MediLab LIS provides an array of powerful functionalities to assist physicians and lab technicians process and supervise all varieties of inpatient and outpatient medical testing, including biochemistry, immunology, microbiology, RIA, radiology, serology, haematology, urology, blood bank tests, histology and cytology.
- It can manage patient check in, order entry, specimen processing, result entry and patient demographics.
- It can track and store every detail about a patient from the moment they arrive to the moment they leave.
- It signals any problems or unsettled matters, so decisions can be made at the proper level.
- It enables ordering of tests and results reviewing to be accessible to the clinical physicians through web browser.
- It stores every information in its database for future reference.
- It establishes interoperability with HIS systems using international protocols such as HL7.
- It supports various RDBMS systems (Oracle, MS SQL)
With a multitude of advanced customisation capabilities, MediLab LIS can be rapidly implemented to meet specific operational and workflow requirements of any medical laboratory and support any future growing demands. By offering settings for usage rules, access levels, user privileges and a full range of interfaces it can be tailored to boost the clinical tests’ productivity for all working methods.
- Grouping of tests according to laboratory, instruments or clinical evaluation.
- Supporting of all working methods found in laboratory environments: central samples handling, central laboratory secretariat,
multiple blood-collection points or decentralised samples handling section per laboratory.
- Its modular structure permits a gradual system installation and expansion. Expansion follows the requirements and needs of each laboratory or hospital.
- Support of unlimited users, with different levels of access and different responsibilities.
- Utilisation of RFID Technology.
- Access privileges per user, role based authority
- Digital signatures and user activity log files.
Laboratory Information System MediLab LIS manages simultaneously all automatic instruments in the medical laboratory, such as biochemical analysers, automated cell counters, immunology analysers etc.
- It supports all medical analysers, devices and pre-analytics systems.
- The connection can be either unidirectional for simple data collection, or bi-directional for the management of analysers and collection of the results. Full barcode support is provided.
- CCS has a perennial collaboration with all known manufacturers of diagnostic instruments.
- All diagnostic devices are controlled through a common interface for all different types and brands.
- More than 400 models of analysers of all known brands (Abbott, Siemens, Roche Diagnostics, etc.) have been interfaced.
See the full list of connected analysers and diagnostic systems
MediLab LIS supports a full barcode system that allows the complete automation of all laboratory procedures.
- MediLab LIS produces automatically barcode labels for all samples.
- The Samples are placed randomly to the analysers, without the need of any further action by the user.
- The software takes up the rest of the procedures, up to the point of the presentation of the results.
- Barcode labels are printed automatically in the proper number as the sample tubes per lab sections.
- Labels can be reprinted manually or automatically
“MediLab LIS” integrates seamlessly into all the laboratory analysers, diagnostic devices and IT infrastructure of the hospital. It connects to any Hospital Information System, interchanging information at real time.
- Support of XML, web services, HL7, TCP/IP, file transfer and database communication tools
- Use of standard nomenclature such as ICD10, ICDO, SNOMED, LOINC, Read Codes etc.
- Support of DICOM 3.0, ISBT 128, ASTM.
- Support of multiple RDBMS Systems (Oracle, MS SQL).
“MediLab LIS” offers a Quality Control system to inspect and verify the reliability of measurements which are performed by the automatic analysers. It examines each analyser separately and applies statistical methods to certify the quality of the results. Some of the mehods that are being used are: Standard Deviation, Coefficient of Variation, Levey Jennings charts, Shewhart diagrams,Westgard criteria etc.
“MediLab LIS” incorporates various intelligent features that increase the efficiency and productivity of the laboratory, and reduce the operational costs.
- Creation of smart procedures defined by rules which are introduced with logical commands. These rules examine and combine test results to check for conditions than can trigger a new action or produce a comment or an alert.
- The validation process of test results includes: delta check, abnormal values, critical and panic range values.
- Simultaneous display and comparison of the previous results in diagrams or tables.
- Alert capability and signalling in tests ordering procedure for detecting samples of patients with contagious diseases, and warning for unreasonable repetition of tests.
- Definition of test rules according to medical protocols.
“MediLab LIS” has a powerful report generation system, customizable to specific requirements and layout of tests report of every laboratory. Additionally, it can produce comprehensive statistical information based on the recorded data of patients and tests.
- Support of a versatile and powerful module of statistical analysis, with the ability to generate reports of clinical data.
- Reports can be presented according to test category, tests, patients and laboratory section in relation to Pathological Values, Mean Values or Normal Range Values.
- ‘MediLab LIS’ maintains a database with complete medical files for every patient and its tests.
- All results are accessible directly by the physicians or each authorized lab section.
- The presentation of the results can be in different forms in terms of clinical evaluation.
- Results are always in correlation with the methods and reference values of the time done.
- Administrative reporting with quantitative information for decision making.
The ‘MediLab LIS’ solution includes web based applications which give access to the system from locations outside the laboratory (wards, ICUs, ERs, etc.).
This powerful feature enables physicians to order tests and receive approved results using tablets and mobile phones, achieving paperless communication and ensuring that required actions are taken in a timely manner.
The ability of MediLab LIS to manage complex, multidisciplinary and multisite health organizations allows it to effortlessly adapt to the evolution of large organizations
Benefits of ‘MediLab LIS’
- Prevents manual data entry errors by ensuring that each piece of information is entered only once, by the person closest to the source of this information, and from there, made available in due time to any system who needs it.
- Reduces over-ordering and over blood sampling from the patient by letting the current lab orders and their results follow the movements of the patient from a ward to another.
- Avoids lost specimens by tracking specimen collection in ward or in sample collection room, and specimen acceptance in laboratory.
- Accelerates the delivery of laboratory results to the ward staff, especially in emergency situations where a clinical decision is conditioned by some test results.
- Suppresses manual order entry time on the laboratory side since the order is placed directly by the clinical system operated in the ward to the laboratory information system.
- Stremalines sample collection and transportation process, delivering a unique identifier to each specimen collected, tightly coupled with the identifiers of the orders requesting this specimen to be performed.
- Saves telephone calls between ward and laboratory since urgent results are delivered immediately and all status changes of any current order are reported in real time to the ordering system.
- Reduces the amount of paper reports since all lab results are consolidated in a global system that shares them with the authorized caregivers in the wards.
- Favors independence of healthcare institution from their clinical and ancillary systems by providing clear specifications of interfaces between Clinical Information Systems (CIS), Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) and Laboratory Automation Systems (LAS), enables to replace one of these systems in a department or unit without breaking the existing data workflows involving this department or unit.
Brings consistency and efficiency by optimising the resources of a laboratory, and simultaneously increasing staff productivity.
- Consolidation of facilities and available resources.
- Optimization of resources usage, including rooms, analysers, modalities, and staff.
- Redundant tasks are eliminated.
- Lab efficiency and test volumes are improved by centralizing the workflow in one system.
- Staff time spent on non-clinical tasks is decreased and allocated to more productive activities.
MediLab LIS offers interoperability and integrates with other IT systems, offering multiple advantages to the operation of a hospital.
- Automates the entire lab process and provides central point administration.
- Eliminates time-intensive work associated with managing paperwork.
- Faster delivery of laboratory results.
- Networking between ‘MediLab LIS’ and HIS, ERP or EMR and EHR systems.
- Easy access from clinics via web browsers of mobile devices (tablets and smartphones), so referring physicians get lab results for their patients faster and prioritised.
MediLab LIS enhances the credibility of testing practices and data quality for patients and administration.
- Acceleration of the tests validation process.
- Greater reliability of results.
- Eliminates workflow delays
Offers a multitude of advanced customisation capabilities and can meet any workflow requirements and support any change or growing demand of the laboratory.
- Short learning curves for new staff.
- Adapts to new modalities.
- Adapts to changes in information flow.
MediLab LIS has a critical contribution in reducing major costs associated with the operation of medical laboratories, such as reagents and disposables.
- Reduction of reagents and disposables consumption.
- Reduction of equipment and resources required, as well as of their maintenance cost.
- No special computers to purchase or proprietary software to use.
- Reduction of health care services costs (patients served faster).
‘MediLab LIS’ has a proven record of continual development and a successful business course for more than 30 years.