Electronic Medical Record
Designed for the operational needs of any hospital environment
‘MediFile EMR’ Electronic Medical Record
A modern, accurate and efficient system for any hospital seeking for a consistent solution for archiving and managing patients’ records.
An Electronic Medical Record (EMR) is a confidential and safe system of health care or treatment records, that health care providers, maintains on a computer. EMR allows medical staff to create, store, organize and edit a patient’s clinical information on a computer network. EMR can help reduce the occurrence of medical errors, avoid duplicate testing, and improve the overall quality of care. EMR allow providers to share up-to-date information about patients’ conditions, treatments, tests and prescriptions.
However EMRs is much more than the electronic equivalent of paper. They are dedicated to improving efficiency, quality, and safety in health care. EMRs automate many day-to-day tasks within a hospital, and they consume a great deal of time.
The global adoption of EMRs has demonstrated benefits including reduced errors in medicine, improvements in cost-effectiveness, increased efficiency and the ability to provide an active role for patients in clinical decision-making. They are the center of any health information system.
Clinical quality improves by having quicker and easier access to relevant clinical information. EMR provides the possibility of monitoring and analyzing the controls and results in the treatment of patients, allowing faster identification of those whose results are out of the expectation and need to be intervened.
MediFile EMR is a web based application with enhanced capabilities, designed for the operational needs of any hospital environment, offering additional user access via mobile devices (tablets, smartphones) and interoperability with other IT systems within the hospital:
- Allows for an entire patient history to be viewed without the need to track down the patient’s previous medical record volume and assists in ensuring data is accurate, appropriate and legible.
- Reduces the chances of data replication as there is only one modifiable patient record, which means the record is constantly up to date when viewed at a later date and eliminates the issue of lost forms, minimises and even eliminates paperwork and internal bureaucracy and resolves all communications needs
All patient’s information at your fingertips, any time, any place!
Electronic Medical Record ‘MediFile EMR’ is a scalable, robust and secure platform providing healthcare professionals easy and instant access to patients’ data from any physical location that has internet access.
- Management of patient check in and registration, patient history, family and social history, episodes, medication and all clinical records.
- Enhanced customisation of patient monitoring per care unit (ICU, surgery rooms, etc.) via an intuitive interface (navigation tree).
- Quality control procedures for checking the course and stages of patient care (tests, diagnosis, medication, etc).
- Offers real time monitoring of results, as these become available by LIS, RIS, AP, PACS etc medical systems.
- Ordering of tests and results reviewing is accessible to the clinical physicians through web browser applications (via automatic interfaces with LIS and RIS systems).
- Definition of test rules according to medical protocols.
MediFile EMR integrates seamlessly to any Hospital Information System (HIS), Management Information System (MIS), Laboratory Information System (LIS), Radiology Information Systems (RIS/ PACS), Histopathology, Blood Bank, interchanging information at real time via standard and/or tailored protocols.
- Interfaces with the ERP system for exchanging patient information (patient id, billings, etc).
- MediFile EMR establishes interoperability with other systems using international protocols such as HL7.
- Use of standard nomenclature such as ICD (9, 10), ICDO, SNOMED, LOINC, Read Codes etc.
- Web based application (IIS, ASP, Html, SSL, etc.) supporting XML, web services, TCP/IP, file transfer and database communication tools.
- Supports all web browsers.
- Supports multiple RDBMS (ORACLE, MS SQL).
MediFile EMR has a powerful report generation system, customisable to the operational requirements of every hospital.
- Detailed and brief presentation of test results preview in a diagram or in a table form.
- PDF presentation of radiology transcriptions with capabilities for image preview.
- Extended print engine including results information, crosstabs, and comparison diagrams.
MediFile EMR provides a multitude of options and functionalities which dramatically enhance the daily routine of monitoring a patient’s health record. Offering settings for access levels, user privileges, prioritizing tasks and rules for orders validation it offers a rapid and automated health dataflow system with complete control and insights over patient and exams.
- Modular structure which permits a gradual system installation and expansion according to the requirements and needs of each hospital.
- Barcode, NFC, RFID technology.
- Access privileges per user, role based authority, digital signatures and user activity log files.
- Detailed test results presentation, giving clinicians a powerful and accurate information for diagnosis.
This powerful feature gives physicians full access to the medical record of a patient and to perform tasks such as ordering of tests and receiving results in any location with internet access, achieving paperless communication and ensuring that required actions are taken in a timely manner. Supports all mobile platforms.
Electronic Medical Record ‘MediFile EMR’ covers the need of previewing test results in emergency units (ER) with its Lab On Line module, through touch screens.
- Especially designed for the use of touch screens in ER units.
- Real time feed of test results necessary for patients treated in ER units.
- Alerts for pathological values based on predefined customisation.
- Full access to the patient record data.
MediFile EMR offers a comprehensive method which allows any internal or external document (including handwritten) related to a patient to be easily identified and archived to the patient’s record.
MediFile EMR sets out an efficient patient data flow system which provides accurate, appropriate and legible data to assist the health care personnel in their daily tasks.
- Consolidation of all laboratory exams in one system.
- Optimization of patient’s data storage.
- Redundant tasks are eliminated.
- Lab efficiency and test volumes are improved by centralizing the orders workflow.
- Staff time spent on non-clinical tasks is decreased and allocated to more productive activities.
MediFile EMR contributes in reducing major costs associated with the administrative and operational tasks of the hospital.
- Reduction of equipment and resources required and associated maintenance cost.
- No special computers to purchase or proprietary software to use.
- Reduction of costs related to health care services (patients are treated faster).
- No need for complex training (MediFile EMR has a simple web interface).
MediFile EMR supports interoperability. It integrates with other IT Hospital systems, offering multiple advantages to the operation of the organisation.
- Eliminates time-intensive work associated with managing paperwork.
Faster ordering and delivery of laboratory results.
- Networking between LIS, RIS/PACS, HIS, EHR or EPR systems.
- Easy access from clinics via web browsers of mobile devices (tablets and smartphones), so referring physicians get lab results for their patients faster and prioritised.
MediFile EMR offers a multitude of advanced customisation capabilities and can meet any workflow requirements and support any change or growing demand.
- Short learning curves for new staff.
- Adapts to new modalities and changes in information flow.
Electronic Medical Record ‘MediFile EMR’ is part of the Healthcare suite of CCS, which has a proven record of continual development and a successful business course for more than 30 years in the domain of medical software.
MediFile mobile for smartphones and tablets
Immediate access to existing clinical information is inadequate in current medical practice. Lack of existing information contributes to many classes of medical error, including diagnostic and treatment error. A review of the literature finds problems caused by data that are missing or unavailable. A primary recommendation is that hospitals and departments should adopt systems that provide fast, ubiquitous, and unified access to all types of existing data.
Using “MediFile-mobile EMR”, doctors have quick access to patient records, medicines, laboratory results, radiology pictures, allergies and even a real-time view of vital signs. The application is able to tie into Picture Archiving and Communications Systems (PACS) and Lab results databases. Doctors can view directly all patient’s Lab tests and Radiology diagnostic reports and images.The MediFile EMR application is not read-only. It is fully two-way, letting doctors and nurses enter all that data necessary to patients medical record.
The ‘Smart Documents’ are ‘intelligent’ forms used inside the hospital to capture patient information during hospitalization or an outpatient visit. Applied within the electronic patient record covering cases where one or more departments of the hospital cannot operate the electronic patient record because of either of the existing structure or due to lack of available staff. Using the Smart Documents even these departments are able to contribute to the electronic medical record even if they do not fill-in the patient data by typing in on their workstation. As a result the entire medical record is not separated in handwritten and computerized one but becomes a uniform and unified Medical Record.
Uniform and unified Medical Record, by mixing Voice recognition, handwritten notes, typed text, photos and video
The documents are ‘Smart’ because:
- Are printed automatically by the application at the time of patient’s admission. Their content includes proper boxes to be filled in by the doctors and nurses. The boxes are different per ‘Smart Document’ dependent on diagnosis, diagnostic investigation or the responsible ward.
- Are filled-in by three different automated ways, so even if the data is handwritten, the document is able to be inserted in the electronic medical record as computerized form.
Filling-in a Smart Document
The information system provides three ways to fill-in the smart document:
- Simple hand-written text
- Filling via a ‘special pen’ which during writing scans the writings by the pen tip embedded microcamera.
- Through speaking on mobile phone, via voice recognition that permits the filling of form’s boxes by the spoken text.
All three above methods result in automatic inclusion of patient Smart Docs in the electronic medical record.
Encapsulation of Smart Documents in the medical record
The type of archived information in the medical record depends on the used method.
First Method :
The storage of information is the image of the form, either multi-page or not. The inclusion in the file is a batch scanning of the filled Smart Documents with a scanner equipped with an automatic feeder. The document pages need not be in sequence bu page number or even by the patient. The software automatically recognizes the attributes of each document (patient, department, page number etc) and therefore classifies and archives the Smart Document properly, to the belonging patient and the appropriate part of the medical record.
Second method :
Allows entry of handwritten information not as a single document image but separated to fields. The method supports also the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) process that converts handwritten text to characters. This method does not require a scanner for scanning. The transfer of information is done automatically when you place the pen on its base for charging. At that position data of documents are transferred to the server and then set to medical record.
Third method :
Exploit the mobile application of Medifile EMR for mobile and tablets. The application includes a special library that converts voice into text which then updates appropriately the patient’s smart document.
Smart Documents makes your system smarter