Laboratory Information System
The leading LIS in the Greek Hospitals
Laboratory Information System 'MediLab LIS'
Laboratory Information System ‘MediLab LIS’ is an advanced and full featured IT System, used 24h daily by hundrends of Medical Laboratories, hospitals and medical centers, private or public. MediLab’s Enterprise Laboratory Platform encompasses all of the traditional LIS concepts and extends them even further, adding complementary capabilities and technologies. Most importantly, it does so with complete and seamless integration. The result is a single system that meets the diverse needs of the modern laboratory.
‘MediLab LIS’, manages the diverse needs across pathology laboratory departments including Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Coagulation, Virology, Immunology, Serology, Toxicology, Urinalysis, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Cytogenetics, Flow Cytometry, Anatomic Pathology, Cytology, Blood Bank and Blood Transfusion.
Designed for the operational needs of clinical labs, Laboratory Information System ‘MediLab LIS’ is both a web based and a client-server application. The enhanced customization capabilities allow a flexible and rapid system implementation at any healthcare laboratory environment. ‘MediLab LIS’ is one of the most robust, productive, dedicated and complete Laboratory Information System solutions available today in Europe. Offers access through tablets and smartphones. The system provides extensive support to the daily procedures and data. On a daily basis thousands of physicians and healthcare professionals at hundreds of medical laboratories use MediLab LIS. So, they succeed to provide accurate, on-time and secure care for their patients. With advanced customization capabilities permits adaptation to the particular operational requirements of all types and sizes laboratories.
From patient confidentiality to sharing patient results, and from expert rules to software intelligence, everything has been setup to optimize laboratory performance and contribute to improving the quality of care and patient safety.
In complex environments both the ease of use and the integration into existing systems, is of prime importance.
Features of Laboratory Information System 'MediLab LIS'
Integrated and Consistent Solution
Laboratory Information System ‘MediLab LIS’ provides an array of powerful functionalities. All these funcionalitiew assist physicians and lab technicians process and supervise all varieties of inpatient and outpatient medical testing.
- manages patient check in, order entry, specimen processing, result entry and patient demographics.
- tracks and store every detail about a patient from the moment they arrive to the moment they leave.
- signals any problems or unsettled matters, so decisions can be made at the proper level.
- enables ordering of tests and results reviewing to be accessible to the clinical physicians through web browser.
- stores every information in its database for future reference.
- establishes interoperability with HIS systems using international protocols such as HL7.
- supports various RDBMS systems (Oracle, MS SQL)
Customisable and Flexible System
With a multitude of advanced customisation capabilities, MediLab LIS can be rapidly implemented to meet specific operational and workflow requirements. Supports any medical laboratory to any future growing demands. By offering settings for usage rules, access levels, user privileges and a full range of interfaces boost the clinical tests’ productivity.
- Groups tests according to laboratory, instruments or clinical evaluation.
- Handles all working methods found in laboratory environments. Central samples handling, central laboratory secretariat,
multiple blood-collection points or decentralised samples handling section per laboratory.
- Its modular structure permits a gradual system installation and expansion. Expansion follows the requirements and needs of each laboratory.
- Supports of unlimited users, with different levels of access and different responsibilities.
- Utilises RFID Technology.
- Offers access privileges per user, role based authority
- Additionally supports digital signatures and user activity log files.
Extensive Connectivity to Analyzers
MediLab LIS manages simultaneously all automatic instruments in the medical laboratory, such as biochemical analysers, automated cell counters, immunology analysers etc.
- supports all medical analysers, devices and pre-analytics systems.
- offers either unidirectional or bi-directional connections for the management of analysers and collection of the results.
- provides full barcode support.
- controls all diagnostic devices through a common interface for all different types and brands.
- Interfaces to more than 400 models of analysers of all known brands (Abbott, Siemens, Roche Diagnostics, etc.). See the full list of connected analysers and diagnostic systems
Efficient Barcode Automation
‘MediLab LIS’ supports a full barcode system that allows the complete automation of all laboratory procedures.
- produces automatically barcode labels for all samples.
- helps placing samples randomly to the analysers, without the need of any further action by the user.
- takes up all the rest of the procedures, up to the point of the presentation of the results.
- prints Barcode labels automatically in the proper number as the sample tubes per lab sections.
- reprints labels manually or automatically.
- CCS callaborates with all manufacturers of analysers and diagnostic instruments.
Interoperability and Integration
‘MediLab LIS’ integrates seamlessly into all the laboratory analysers, diagnostic devices and IT infrastructure of the hospital. It connects to any Hospital Information System, interchanging information at real time.
- XML, web services, HL7, TCP/IP, file transfer and database communication tools
- standard nomenclature such as ICD10, ICDO, SNOMED, LOINC, Read Codes etc.
- DICOM 3.0, ISBT 128, ASTM.
- multiple RDBMS Systems (Oracle, MS SQL).
Automatic QC Procedures
“MediLab LIS” offers a Quality Control system to inspect and verify the reliability of measurements by the automatic analysers. It examines each analyser separately and applies statistical methods to certify the quality of the results. Standard Deviation, Coefficient of Variation, Levey Jennings charts, Shewhart diagrams,Westgard criteria etc are some of the methods.
Built In Intelligence
“MediLab LIS” incorporates various intelligent features that increase the efficiency and productivity of the laboratory, and reduce the operational costs.
- Creates smart procedures defined by rules which are introduced with logical commands. These rules examine and combine test results to check for conditions than can trigger a new action or produce a comment or an alert.
- Validates process of test results including delta check, abnormal values, critical and panic range values.
- Displays simultaneous the previous results in diagrams or tables for comparison reasons.
- Alerts and signals in tests ordering procedure for detecting samples of patients with contagious diseases, and warning for unreasonable repetition of tests.
- Supports test rules according to medical protocols.
Reports and Statistics
There is a powerful report generation system, customizable to specific requirements and layout of tests report of every laboratory. Additionally, it can produce comprehensive statistical information based on the recorded data of patients and tests.
- supports a versatile and powerful module of statistical analysis, with the ability to generate reports of clinical data.
- reports data according to test category, tests, patients and laboratory section in relation to Pathological Values, Mean Values or Normal Range Values.
- maintains a database with complete medical files for every patient and its tests.
- directs all results of all lab sections to the physicians and the responsible ward.
- presents the results in different forms in terms of clinical evaluation.
- results are always in correlation with the methods and reference values of the time done.
- offers administrative reporting with quantitative information for decision making.
Support for Mobile Devices
The solution includes web based applications which give access to the system from locations outside the laboratory (wards, ICUs, ERs, etc.). This powerful feature enables physicians to order tests and receive approved results using tablets and mobile phones, achieving paperless communication and ensuring that required actions are taken in a timely manner.
See a list of general features and specifications
‘Medilab LIS’ encompasses deep knowledge that contributes to the evolution of large and complex healthcare organisations
Benefits of Laboratory Information System 'MediLab LIS'
The embedded features of the Laboratory Information System ‘MediLab LIS’ helps on :
- manual data entry errors by ensuring that each piece of information is entered only once. The person closest to the source of this information, enters the data. From there, all data are made available in due time to any system who needs it.
- over-ordering and over blood sampling from the patient by letting the current lab orders and their results follow the movements of the patient from a ward to another.
- lost of specimens by tracking specimen collection in ward or in sample collection room, and specimen acceptance in laboratory.
- manual order entry time on the laboratory side since the order is placed directly by the clinical system operated in the ward to the laboratory information system.
- telephone calls between ward and laboratory since urgent results are delivered immediately and all status changes of any current order are reported in real time to the ordering system.
- amount of paper reports since all lab results are consolidated in a global system that shares them with the authorized caregivers in the wards.
- the delivery of laboratory results to the ward staff, especially in emergency situations where a clinical decision is conditioned by some test results.
- Stremalines sample collection and transportation process, delivering a unique identifier to each specimen collected, tightly coupled with the identifiers of the order request.
- independence of healthcare institution from their clinical and ancillary systems.
- clear specifications of interfaces between Clinical Information Systems (CIS), Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) and Laboratory Automation Systems (LAS).
- replace one of these systems in a department or unit without breaking the existing data workflows.
Complete automation and integration
- ‘MediLab LIS’ interoperates to other IT systems, offering system integration and multiple advantages to the hospital.
- Automates the entire lab process and provides central point administration.
- Eliminates time-intensive work associated with managing paperwork.
- Faster delivery of laboratory results.
- Networking between ‘MediLab LIS’ and HIS, ERP or EMR and EHR systems.
- Easy access from clinics via web browsers of mobile devices (tablets and smartphones), so referring physicians get lab results faster and prioritised.
- Brings consistency and efficiency by optimising the resources of a laboratory, and simultaneously increasing staff productivity.
- Consolidation of facilities and available resources.
- Optimization of resources usage, including rooms, analysers, modalities, and staff.
- Elimination of redundant tasks.
- Improves lab efficiency by centralizing the workflow in one system.
- Decreases staff time spent on non-clinical tasks allocating their time to more productive activities.
- MediLab LIS enhances the credibility of testing practices and data quality for patients and administration.
- Acceleration of the tests validation process.
- Greater reliability of results.
- Eliminates workflow delays
Offers a multitude of advanced customisation capabilities and can meet any workflow requirements and support any change or growing demand of the laboratory.
- Short learning curves for new staff.
- Adapts to new modalities.
- Adapts to changes in information flow.
MediLab LIS has a critical contribution in reducing major costs associated with the operation of medical laboratories, such as reagents and disposables.
- Reduction of reagents and disposables consumption.
- Reduction of equipment and resources required, as well as of their maintenance cost.
- No special computers to purchase or proprietary software to use.
- Reduction of health care services costs (patients served faster).
‘MediLab LIS’ has a proven record of continual development and a successful business course for more than 35 years.