Electronic Medical Record for any Hospital
Electronic Medical Record 'MediFile EMR'
The Electronic Medical Record ‘MediFile EMR’ is an Information Technology system that provides immediate access to patient health data. For instance such data are the clinical notes, medication history, laboratory reports, images, and various reports. It is part of a hospital information system, which facilitates direct patient care.
An Electronic Medical Record (EMR) is a confidential and safe system of health care treatment records. EMR allows medical staff to create, store, organize and edit a patient’s clinical information on a computer network. Therefore, EMR can help reduce the occurrence of medical errors, avoid duplicate testing, and improve the overall quality of care. Additionally, EMR allow providers to share up-to-date information about patients’ conditions, treatments, tests and prescriptions. However ‘MediFile EMR’ is much more than the electronic equivalent of paper. It is a modern, accurate and efficient system for any hospital seeking for a consistent solution. The system archives and manages patients’ records and health information. ‘Above all, ‘MediFile EMR’ is dedicated to improve efficiency, quality, and safety in health care organisations. EMR automates many day-to-day tasks within a hospital, that consume a great deal of time.
Adoption of EMR
The global adoption of EMRs has demonstrated a lot of benefits. These include reduced errors in medicine, improvements in cost-effectiveness and increased efficiency. It also provides an active role for patients in clinical decision-making. Therefore the EMR is the center of any health information system. Improves clinical quality by having quicker and easier access to relevant clinical information. In addition, the software provides the possibility of monitoring and analyzing the controls and results in the treatment of patients. This allows faster identification of patients’ results that are out of the expectation and triggers the need of intervation.
Web based application
Electronic Medical Record ‘MediFile EMR’ is a web based application with enhanced capabilities, designed for the operational needs of any hospital environment. It offers user access via mobile devices (tablets, smartphones) and interoperability with other IT systems within the hospital.
- Allows for an entire patient history to be viewed without the need to track down the patient’s previous medical record.
- Assists in ensuring data is accurate, appropriate and legible.
- Reduces the chances of data replication as there is only one modifiable patient record
- Keeps the medical record constantly up to date
- Eliminates the issue of lost forms
- Minimises and even eliminates paperwork and internal bureaucracy
- Resolves all communications needs
Accurate and Efficient Services
‘MediFile EMR’ sets out an efficient patient data flow system. This system provides accurate, appropriate and legible data to assist the health care personnel in their daily tasks. It offers :
- Consolidation of all laboratory exams in one system.
- Optimization of patient’s data storage.
- Elimination of redundant tasks.
- Lab efficiency and test volumes are improved by centralizing the orders workflow.
- Decreases staff time spent on non-clinical tasks, allocating it to more productive activities.
Critical cost savings
The system contributes in reducing major costs associated with the administrative and operational tasks of the hospital.
- Reduction of equipment and resources required and associated maintenance cost.
- No special computers to purchase or proprietary software to use.
- Reduction of costs related to health care services (patients are treated faster).
- No need for complex training (MediFile EMR has a simple web interface).
Complete automation and integration
The EMR supports interoperability. It interoperates with other IT Hospital systems, offering multiple advantages to the operation of the organisation.
- Eliminates time-intensive work associated with managing paperwork.
- Faster ordering and delivery of laboratory results.
- Networking between LIS, RIS/PACS, HIS, EHR or EPR systems.
- Easy access from clinics via web browsers of mobile devices
- Provision of referring physicians with patients’ results in a faster and prioritised manner.
Adaptation to changes and growth
The software of ‘MediFile EMR’ offers a multitude of advanced customisation capabilities. It can meet any workflow requirements and support any change or growing demand.
- Short learning curves for new staff.
- Adapts to new modalities and changes in information flow.
Electronic Medical Record ‘MediFile EMR’ is part of the Healthcare suite of CCS, which has a proven record of continual development and a successful business course for more than 30 years in the domain of medical software.
Features of 'MediFile EMR'
Electronic Medical Record ‘MediFile EMR’ is a scalable, robust and secure platform. It provides healthcare professionals with an easy and instant access to patients’ data from any physical locationvia internet. ‘MediFile’ offers :
- Management of patient check in and registration, patient history, family and social history, episodes, medication and all clinical records.
- Enhanced customisation of patient monitoring per care unit (ICU, surgery rooms, etc.) via an intuitive interface (navigation tree).
- Quality control procedures for checking the course and stages of patient care (tests, diagnosis, medication, etc).
- Real time monitoring of results, as these become available by LIS, RIS, AP, PACS etc medical systems.
- Ordering of tests and results reviewing is accessible to the clinical physicians through web browser.
- Transfer of data via automatic interfaces with LIS and RIS systems.
- Definition of test rules according to medical protocols.
MediFile EMR integrates seamlessly to any Hospital Information System (HIS), Management Information System (MIS), Laboratory Information System (LIS), Radiology Information Systems (RIS/ PACS), Histopathology, Blood Bank, interchanging information at real time via standard and/or tailored protocols.
- Interfaces with the ERP system for exchanging patient information (patient id, billings, etc).
- Establishes interoperability with other systems using international protocols such as HL7.
- Incorporates internation standards such as ICD10, ICDO, SNOMED, LOINC, etc.
- Uses web protocols (IIS, ASP, Html, SSL, etc.)
- Supports XML, web services, TCP/IP, file transfer and database communication tools.
- Compatible with all web browsers.
- Multiple databases usage (ORACLE, MS SQL).
MediFile EMR has a powerful report generation system, customisable to the operational requirements of every hospital.
- Detailed and brief presentation of test results preview in a diagram or in a table form.
- PDF presentation of radiology transcriptions with capabilities for image preview.
- Extended print engine including results information, crosstabs, and comparison diagrams.
MediFile EMR provides a multitude of options and functionalities which dramatically enhance monitoring of patient’s health record. Offers settings for access levels, user privileges, prioritizing tasks and rules for orders validation. Additionally it offers a rapid automated health dataflow with complete control and insights over patient and tests.
- Modular structure permits a gradual system installation and expansion according to the requirements of each hospital.
- Barcode, NFC, RFID technology.
- Access privileges per user, role based authority, digital signatures
- User activity log files.
- Detailed test results presentation, giving clinicians a powerful and accurate information for diagnosis.
Use of mobile devices gives physicians full access to the medical record of a patient.
- Permits tasks such as ordering of tests and receiving results in any location with internet access.
- Achieves paperless communication and ensures that required actions are on time.
- Supports all mobile platforms.
Electronic Medical Record ‘MediFile EMR’ offers test results’ previewing in emergency units (ER) with the ‘Lab On-Line’ software module
- Especially designed for the use of touch screens in ER units.
- Real time feed of test results necessary for patients treated in ER units.
- Alerts for pathological values based on predefined customisation.
- Full access to the patient record data.
A comprehensive method which allows any document (including handwritten) to be easily identified and archived to the patient’s record.
‘MediFile EMR’ is part of the Healthcare suite of CCS, which has a proven record of continual development and a successful business course for more than 30 years in the domain of medical software.
MediFile EMR – mobile, for smartphones and tablets
An immediate access to existing clinical information is inadequate in current medical practice. Lack of existing information contributes to many classes of medical error, including diagnostic and treatment error. A review of the literature finds problems caused by data that are missing or unavailable. Hence, a primary recommendation is that hospitals and departments should adopt systems that provide fast, ubiquitous, and unified access to all types of existing data.
Using “MediFile-mobile EMR”, cliniciens have quick access to patient records. In addition, they also have in their hands medicines, laboratory results, radiology pictures, allergies and even a real-time view of vital signs. The system is able to tie into Picture Archiving and Communications Systems (PACS) and Lab results databases. Cliniciens can view directly all patient’s Lab tests and Radiology diagnostic reports and images. Talking about the mobile application we must mention that it is not a read-only application, that exclusively display the patient’s information. It is fully two-way, letting doctors and nurses enter all that data necessary, to patients medical record, via their mobile devices.
All patient’s information at your fingertips, any time, any place!
The ‘Smart Documents’ are ‘intelligent’ forms for capturing patient information either during hospitalization or an outpatient visit. Applied within the electronic patient record smart documents cover all patients’ cases. It also covers the case where one or more departments of the hospital cannot operate the electronic patient record. This may happen either because the existing structure or due to lack of available staff. Hence, using the Smart Documents even these departments are able to contribute to the electronic medical record. Even if they do not fill-in the patient data by typing in on their workstation their are able to use smart document in an hybrid way. As a result the entire medical record is not separated in handwritten and computerized one but becomes digital Medical Record.
Uniform and unified Health Record, by mixing Voice recognition, Handwritten notes, Typed text, Photos & Video
Smart documents are:
printed automatically by the application at the time of patient’s admission. Their content includes proper boxes to be filled in by the doctors and nurses. The boxes are different per ‘Smart Document’ dependent on diagnosis, diagnostic investigation or the responsible ward.
filled-in by three different automated ways. So even if the data is handwritten, the system archives the document in the electronic medical record as digital form.
Filling-in a Smart Document
The information system provides three ways to fill-in the smart document. Never the less, all three above methods result in automatic inclusion of the digital Smart Docs in the electronic medical record.
- Simple hand-written text
- Filling via a ‘special pen’ which during writing scans the writings by the pen top embedded microcamera.
- Through speaking on mobile phone, via voice recognition that permits the filling of form’s boxes by the spoken text.
Encapsulation of Smart Documents in the medical record
The type of archived information in the medical record depends on the used method.
First Method :
The storage of information is the image of the form, either multi-page or not. It is a digital file produced by a batch scanning of the filled in Smart Document. The scanning procedure takes place by a scanner equipped with an automatic feeder. During scanning the document pages need not to be in sequence, not in an order by page number or even by a patient. Via an automatic recognition, the attributes of each document (patient, department, page number etc) are set accordingly. Therefore the software it is able to classify and archive the Smart Document properly, to the belonging patient and the appropriate part of the medical record.
Second method :
Allows entry of handwritten information not as a single digital document image but to separated to fields information. The method supports also the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) process, converting handwritten text to characters. This method does not require a scanner for scanning. Hand-written text is capture via a micro camera that exists on the pen. Information transfering is done automatically when the use places the pen on its base for charging. Therefore, the data of documents are transferred to the server. Finally the software archives them all in the medical record.
Third method :
Exploit the mobile application of Medifile EMR for mobile and tablets. The application includes a special library that converts voice into text which then updates the patient’s smart document.
Smart Documents makes your Medical Record even smarter
In conclusion ‘smart documents’ is an advanced software tool, permitting every Health Organisation, independitly of the maturity on information systems, to apply and maintain in a very easy way the electronic medical record.