Biopathology Software is a section of Health Information Technology. It allows laboratory personnel to capture, migrate, process and interprete data for immediate use. That way the Lab software helps to maximize the efficiency of laboratory operations.
Technological developments have made laboratory equipment more interactive. Networks of integrated lab devices, computers, and telecoms log, analyze, and distribute data. This has enabled diagnostic tests to move from a localized to an internet model.
Biopathology Laboratory Software helps medical personnel to spend less time collecting data. In turn, it allows personnel to focus more on the work at hand. It also makes the diagnosis both faster and more efficient. This lead to laboratories requiring more robust and scalable data management systems, to stay competitive.
In the context of Public Health Laboratories, the Association of Public Health Laboratories has identified 19 areas for self-assessment of laboratory informatics in their Laboratories Efficiencies Initiative.
Biopathology Software include the following Capability Areas:
- Laboratory Test Request and Sample Receiving
- Test Preparation, LIMS Processing, Test Results Recording and Verification
- Report Preparation and Distribution
- Laboratory Test Scheduling
- Prescheduled Testing
- Specimen and Sample Tracking/Chain of Custody
- Media, Reagents, Controls: Manufacturing and Inventory
- Interoperability and Data Exchange
- Statistical Analysis and Surveillance
- Training, Education and Resource Management
- Laboratory Certifications/Licensing
- Quality Control (QC) and Quality Assurance (QA) Management
- Laboratory Safety and Accident Investigation
- Laboratory Mutual Assistance/Disaster Recovery
- Core IT Service Management: Hardware, Software and Services
- Policies and Procedures, including Budgeting and Funding
- Billing for Laboratory Services
- Customer Relationship Management